Our next Home and School Meeting will take place on January 13th, 2021 at 6:30 pm at Stonepark School. Masks are mandatory. Here are the minutes of our last home and school meeting that toke place on October 28th.
Home and School Meeting
October 28, 2020
Principal’s Report Attendance : 4 people
Giselle Dalton welcomed all to the meeting and gave opening remarks 6:35pm
The agenda and minutes of the last meeting were approved.
Treasurer’s report : We have a balance of 149.85 before service fees. We will not be able to help the school if we cannot fundraise.
- We have 716 students at the school. A few students left and a few students arrived.
- Staffing : Starts in November this year. The school is lobbying for a third Vice-Principal if they reach 750 students next year. Home and School could get the message out in support of another VP. Stonepark has 8 feeder schools and as soon as numbers come in for next year, we could write a letter of support.
- Filling Stations : More will be installed shortly. The school used school funds including fundraising money to pay for them
- FM systems : Home and school will write a letter to local businesses. The school needs 6 systems this year and possibly 20 over the next 5 years. We would try to encourage local businesses to support the school and to support the local business selling these systems.
- Duke of Edinburgh : The overnight bike ride is not possible because of COVID. Registration fees are expensive and students are encouraged to continue efforts on their own. They can register as an independent, but the school will be continuing to provide leadership opportunities to students. The popular Bagel Barn run by the leadership group has started again and students can earn hours towards the Duke of Edinburgh.
- Parent Concerns : Students cannot switch out of band this late in the year. They have committed and because of COVID cohorts and the difficulty of shifting students, they must continue Band all year. A few parents called the school because they didn’t agree, but parents in the room were all in agreement.
- Tutoring : The school is hoping to get former students to come back and tutor Stonepark students again this year. COVID regulations are being looked into.
- Parent-teacher Interviews. In person and virtual will be possible. Parents can only visit the homeroom teachers, but homeroom teachers will meet after the fact to discuss student achievement.
- Fundraiser : It went really really well. Pick up of jars will be Saturday November 7.
- Extracurricular : Band sectional, Basketball, Hockey and Green Team have started or we will starting very soon. The Youth Empowerment Program will hopefully get underway again this year. This program was very well received by Newcomers and Island students. The program works to build character and community connections.
- Breakfast program : Bagel Barn has started. Over 100 students use the program everyday. Buns and things are great to give donations!
End of Principal’s report.
A parent asked why buses arrive so early and leave late after school. George said only one bus arrives at 7:45 am. Students must wait outside until the bell and so far, they don’t seem to mind. George was going to ask why the bus must arrive so early. The only time a bus left late after school was last week when a bus broke down.
Fundraiser for home and School. We have no money and a Poinsettia fundraiser would give us money to spend on school events. Everyone loved the idea. Tracy was going to get more info and Jill was going to add it on the School Newsletter. H&S gets $9 and the local company gets $11.
Hat day and Ipod day as possible fundraisers could be possibilities after Christmas if needed.
Adjournment at 7:28pm